How are your windows looking and functioning these days? Perhaps you do not need full glass replacement, but your windows require attention anyway. Performing small maintenance tasks will help windows last longer so you do not have to spend money on repairs or replacement right away. They will also improve the appearance of your home. Here are a few quick window repairs in Hamilton, OH that you can do yourself to improve conditions in your home:
- Lubricate the tracks: If your windows are hard to open, friction and years of wear and tear may be the culprit. You can make them easier to open and close again by applying silicon spray. Applying candle wax can also help, although it will not stand up to heat as well as silicon. While this development often indicates the need for window replacement, you can hold off on that step a little while longer using these methods.
- Adjust the latches: If latching your windows is more difficult than it ought to be, that may be a result of your home settling and moving things out of alignment. Try moving the fasteners a little so that you can mount them on an even surface and help them regain function. Most adjustments only require slight movement to make a big difference.
- Clean the glass: One of the most efficient ways to wash windows is with a pressure washer. You can even purchase a specialized detergent that is biodegradable as well as fully capable of restoring your view. Just make sure you do not turn the pressure on too high, or you may require help replacing broken glass. This is frequently a simple and obvious step that makes a big difference.
- Caulk the edges: Homes settling over time can make windows difficult to open and also expose cracks that bring in more air leaks. Before the cold temperatures hit, caulk around these edges to keep the drafts away. Not only will your rooms be more comfortable but you will likely prevent a utility hit, too. This step can also keep warm air from getting in and making your central air conditioning work harder during the summer.
- Touch up the paint: Molding and frames become discolored due to weather or mildew. Paint chips and peels. If you can touch these areas up before the damage escalates, that can prevent needing a full paint job or window replacement later. Go over the rough-looking spots and smooth out the appearance. Anytime shortcomings are limited to aesthetics, you can often employ a quick refresher to improve the look of your windows.
- Replace the screens: Screens keep bugs out of your home and also block debris. But this can build up on your window screens and become rather unsightly over time. Sometimes, you can improve their condition and appearance by removing them and hosing them off. However, if the dirt buildup is bad or there are holes and large rips, it may be time to measure your windows and find new screens.
A Glass Contractors knows you can do some maintenance work at your home, but we are available when you need more extensive window repairs in Hamilton, OH. If your glass breaks or you’re facing a more serious problem requiring expert attention, give us a call today.